Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Organizing Photos, Part 1

Recently I finally came up with a system for organizing my photos on my computer. I spent a long time trying to figure out the perfect organization method. I am going to share the method with you. The only program I used is Adobe Bridge, which I highly recommend.

The first thing I had to do was organize how the folders would be stored on my computer. I first decided to upload all of my pictures onto the computer in files with the shot date listed in the normal month-day-year format. Inside of that I created 3 new folders. One folder is Originals, the second folder is Edited, and the third folder is Watermarked. The Originals folder is where the image would first go. Images in this folder are never edited, except for when using Camera Raw but that only affects the display and is changeable every time the image is opened. This folder is purely for archive purposes. The Edited folder contains all of my images that I have chosen to edit. As soon as I start working on an image it gets a copy saved into this folder. The final folder is where I stare my images after I have watermarked them and are ready for the internet.

I have kept the three inside folders but I realized a problem with the date folder. When organized in alphabetical order as computer do, the dates are not in chronological order. I renamed all of the folders to a year-month-day formula that keeps them in chronological order now.

While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.  ~Dorothea Lange

No comments:

Post a Comment