Monday, August 9, 2010

Light Graffiti

A popular photography technique that is all over the internet is light graffiti. Light graffiti is using a long exposure in a dark area to create trails of light. The light source is bright enough that it will show up everywhere it moves.

Each of these images was created with a point and shoot digital camera before I had access to a DSLR. The images were shot on a whim so instead of using a tripod I set the camera on the roof of a car. The roof reflected the light pretty well giving me a nice mirror image as well.

These images were all just a first test. With further practice images can be created with the light. I hope to do more tries at this technique.


The creative act lasts but a brief moment, a lightning instant of give-and-take, just long enough for you to level the camera and to trap the fleeting prey in your little box.  ~Henri Cartier Bresson

4 comments:

  1. Interesting technique, and I'd like to see you do something interesting with it. :) It is magical looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lot of fun to do as well. This are just family with sparklers. So much more can be done with a little pre-planning and thought behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoy these photos. Maybe it's how they look like fireworks, or maybe it's just cause they look very "epic" looking. What does epic mean in this case? AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you like them Shamus. I will have to plan to do another shoot very soon. Low moonlight means I should be able to get some different shots hopefully.

    ReplyDelete