Thursday, July 1, 2010

Black and White Photo Assignment 4 Extra Images

These are the extra images from assignment four. I liked these images but not as much as the ones submitted for the assignment. Some of them are extras shot that did not focus on hands so they did not fit the theme.
This is another image of Jen. I like the cropping but it was not enough to fit into the hand theme. I like the lines of the table and the arm crossing the lines. It causes the arm to stand out so much. I wish the pavilion  with the people in the top right was not there.

This image was alright in my opinion. A few things would have made it stronger. Not having a glare on the paper would look better. Having Jen looking down at the paper would have also been better. Once again I did not watch the edges and my camera bag is in the bottom right corner. Easy to crop out but I shouldn't have to.

I really like both of these images but each one has a problem to me. I like the left image because of the shallow depth of field. The background on the right image takes away to much from the image. I like the right though because I can see more of the face. Either I moved or the subject moved but it is an improvement. I want the background on the left image and the foreground on the right.


This image I liked a little bit more than the one I submitted but I did not like the lighting. The bright spots in the background and take away a little. I think the hand could have been positioned a little higher in the frame to better take advantage of the rule of thirds.

This image might be my favorite of this subjects hands but it was not turned in because of a lighting problem on the hand. I corrected the light because it was really bad using Photoshop though for this image. The hand was white with splotches of dark and I was not successful with burning it in when making prints.


I like this image because of the repeating shapes going across the background. The image did not fit with the assignment though because it does not feel like the hand is the subject. The cement containers are much more prominent. Trimming the left side a little might make it a pretty good image of the containers though.

I just think it's important to be direct and honest with people about why you're photographing them and what you're doing.  After all, you are taking some of their soul.  ~Mary Ellen Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment